The University of Idaho is where students come to push their limits and discover what’s possible. Your generosity helps unlock the potential in every student to build a brighter, more prosperous future. Join us in fulfilling our Brave. Bold. promise to expand access to educational excellence for Idaho’s students.
Contact us with questions or to tailor a giving plan that matches your personal and financial goals.
To support U of I’s current work, make a gift online or by mail:
875 Perimeter Drive
Moscow, ID 83844
When you make a gift to an endowment, you provide both immediate and long-term advantages to the future of U of I. Your gift is invested and a portion of the annual income from the investment is used to support your favorite priority at the University of Idaho. The remaining funds are reinvested to ensure continued support for years to come. Fees apply.
You can fund an endowed gift with cash, appreciated securities, real estate, or tangible personal property.
Recommend a grant now from your donor-advised fund
You can conveniently initiate a grant from your DAF using the link below. Simply type in the name of your fund sponsor and the system will prompt you through the process.
Memorial or Tribute Gift
You can honor a grandparent, a parent, a spouse, a loved one, a faculty member or someone else close to you by establishing a memorial or tribute gift. This gift connects you and someone special in your life with the University of Idaho’s mission, celebrating innovative thinking, community engagement and transformative education for generations to come.
You can fund a memorial or tribute gift with cash, appreciated securities, real estate, or tangible personal property.
Gifts of Appreciated Securities
Example: Stocks that you purchased years ago have appreciated dramatically. You want to further your commitment to education and learning. By donating the long-term appreciated stock directly to the University of Idaho, you avoid paying capital gains tax and the full amount is gifted to U of I — maximizing your impact.
|Sell the stock and donate after-tax proceeds||Donate the stock directly to University of Idaho|
|Fair market value of stock||$10,000||$10,000|
|Long-term capital gains tax paid||$1,840||$0|
|Your charitable donation / tax deduction||$8,160||$10,000|
Matching Gift Opportunities
Would you like to maximize the impact of your giving and encourage other supporters to mobilize on behalf of U of I? Consider sponsoring a matching gift challenge. Donate a pool of funds to U of I, from which we will match any donation made within a given period of time. In this way, you can double the impact of your giving.
This gift supports quality education for U of I students and it benefits you. When you give a gift of property, you enjoy tax benefits, like avoiding capital gains tax.
There are nine types of real estate gifts:
- Outright gift. When you give real estate that you have owned longer than one year, you get a federal income tax charitable deduction equal to the property’s appraised value. This deduction reduces the cost of making the gift and frees up cash that would be used to pay taxes. You eliminate both recapture and capital gains taxes, as well as most other state taxes. The gift also reduces your future taxable estate.
- Gift in your will or living trust. This gift of real estate gives you the flexibility to change your mind at any time and to give a larger gift than you may be able to during your lifetime.
- Retained life estate. You can transfer your personal residence or farm to U of I but retain the right to occupy or rent the home for the rest of your life. You receive an immediate federal income tax charitable deduction for a portion of your home’s value.
- Deferred charitable gift annuity. With this gift, you receive income for life and you can receive a federal income tax charitable deduction in the year you set up your gift.
- Bargain sale. To fund this gift, you sell your property to U of I for less than market value and the difference between the actual value and the sale price is the gift for U of I. This is the only gift that provides you with a lump sum of cash and a charitable deduction.
- Charitable remainder unitrust. You can contribute any appreciated real estate you’ve owned for more than one year, provided it’s not mortgaged, and receive an income stream for life or a term of up to 20 years.
- Charitable lead trust. With this gift, you can transfer to your family tax-free, real estate that has the potential to grow.
- Memorial or endowed gift. This is a great way to honor a loved one who has been impacted by the University of Idaho. When you make an endowed gift of real estate, your contribution becomes part of our endowment.
- Donor advised fund. When you transfer real estate to your donor advised fund, you avoid capital gains taxes and receive a federal income tax deduction based on the fair market value of the property.
Qualified Charitable Distribution
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to U of I. This is an effective way to have an immediate impact and ensure that we can provide an excellent education for students for years to come. Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year and a married couple may give up to $200,000 to all organizations.
- An individual may take a one-time QCD up to $50,000 to fund a charitable gift annuity (CGA) or charitable remainder trust (CRT).
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to U of I.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to U of I so it does not count as income for the year.
- If you are 73 and older, the transfer of funds counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution from your IRA.
You can download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here to start the distribution process. You may also be able to request a qualified charitable distribution through your online account portal.
Please note: If you are still working and contributing to a retirement account, this gift could impact your taxable income. Please consult a qualified advisor before making a gift.
The Impact of Your Giving
Could sustain the programs at U of I that you are most passionate about.
could provide a scholarship for a deserving student to receive a transformational education.
could name a room in a new building.
*Please note that these examples are for illustration purposes only and actual gift amounts may differ. Please contact our team to see the impact you can make possible.